So much of what I learnt in dental school was wrong. I was taught that mercury is locked up once mixed in amalgam fillings and doesn’t leak out, I was taught that fluoride prevented tooth decay by making enamel harder, I was taught that surgery was the only way to treat advanced gum disease, that root canals were safe and so on. As time has gone on I’ve come to understand that everything I was taught at dental school was wrong – mercury comes off every amalgam filling ever made, fluoride makes the bacteria in your mouth sick and it makes you sick too, bad bacteria in your mouth are responsible for gum disease and if we change the bacterial make up by exposing them to oxygen they die. We need to understand the toxicology of dentistry and how that impacts on your body and health and when we look at dentistry that way, what I was told in dental school was wrong.
You can stop gum infections they are totally controllable, tooth decay is an infection it’s not caused by a lack of fluoride it’s caused by diet and bacterial build up. What can kill these germs – ozone and iodine will kill these bacteria and disinfect your gums without harming you so you can have healthy teeth all of your life but for this to be effective you have to take responsibility for how you care for you everyday.
Infections from teeth and gums when not treated spread through your blood stream and infect the rest of your body; gum disease causes inflammation throughout your body. Inflammation prematurely ages your body. Fluoride causes inflammation. Brushing your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste everyday means your gums will become inflamed bringing white blood cells to the surface, which allows parasites, and bugs that are associated with gum disease to move into your gum tissue.
The plan is to kill those germs and make them go away not do surgery on the gums.
There is well-grounded scientific literature to support this information and why we work holistically. So why doesn’t dentistry adopt these practices?
For example we as a profession still use and teach our new graduates to use amalgam even though it is well known that they contain mercury and that mercury leaks out of the filling and into the rest of the body. We know mercury is a poison and is highly toxic heavy metal with no safe exposure limit, so why do dentists still use it? The fundamental reason why we still have amalgam in use is because we call them silver fillings, it’s because we call mercury silver. It is not silver it is silver coloured so lets stop deceiving our patients and call them what they are – mercury fillings.
Now if I asked you would you like me to fill your tooth with a mercury filling would you be happy to have one? Let’s face it to place a silver filling we have to mutilate your tooth by drilling away far more tooth structure than is affected by tooth decay as the mercury filling has to be wedged into a specifically shaped hole otherwise it would fall straight out as it does not stick to your tooth. This means we have to drill deeper and wider to undercut your tooth and make a wedge shape to hold the filling in so the hole is made is wider at the base than at the top. This means taking away healthy to tooth to make the silver mercury filling work.
Mercury leaks to every organ in your body.
There is organization that has a strangle hold on the dental profession, they control you being able to get your dental license and so if you are mercury free and other dentists complain about you and attack the high profile holistic dentist there is the threat that they can take your license away. So there is a fear factor being instilled that if you practice holistically you will loose your license and never practice again – this sends a message to tow the party line
The dental associations hold a lot of sway over the Universities and what they teach (particularly in the USA), when the NYU school of dentistry tried to stop teaching its students to use mercury fillings the ADA threatened to take away its accreditation if they stopped teaching mercury.
The ADA has 35 members on the dental division of the Centre for Disease Control who’s only answer to dental decay is to promote adding silicofluoride to the water supply which does nothing for oral health. In fact it damages the enamel – seen as mottling of the teeth called fluorosis of the babies who are drinking it. The silicofluoride comes form China, Mexico, Japan etc. It is a fake program that is funded with mega dollars annually with grants to the water companies because they are being told it is the only way to prevent tooth decay – but what we have been told is wrong.
Do you think that it is ok for the accreditation arm to also be the advisory arm of a profession? Do you not think that regulation should come independently from outside from a group with no vested interests? Perhaps if you knew that the American Dental Association held patents for mercury fillings and at the same time was mandating that dental schools keep teaching dentists to use it and were threatening to take your license if you don’t that that smacks of unilateral control and vested interest. But that is exactly what is happening.
Imagine that happening in other industries or trade associations for example you have the cement trade association accrediting engineers – everything would be made from concrete.
The American Dental Association was dismissed from a lawsuit in California because they argued in court that they owe no duty of care to the public they are representative of the profession and hence they can very much do as they please.
Here’s something I learned through experience and wasn’t taught at dental school – its common practice to do what’s called a fluoride treatment at regular dental checks especially on children. So on the kids department during our training we were expected to do this on every child that we saw. So you fill these mouth trays that cover the teeth with a gel of concentrated fluoride and place it over the teeth and leave it there for a couple of minutes. Well I lost count of how many time kids would pull the trays out and vomit into the sink during or after the treatment. In my mind I had already put 2 and 2 together that the fluoride in the gel was making these kids loose the contents of their stomach and I didn’t think that this was a particularly good thing for them or for me as I was the one left with an upset child and a bowl full of chunks to clean up. (Welcome to the glamorous side of dentistry folks). But what I didn’t know was why they were being sick it was never discussed as part of our training. But I knew something was up and I didn’t want any more vomit incidents and decided I would not do fluoride trays for my patients. Once I graduated I was able to get my hands on a material safety data sheet for fluoride gel and one of its side effects is that if you absorbed too much of it through the tissues of your mouth it will cause nausea. Oh really go figure.
Children can die if they ingest too much fluoride as they get poisoned from it but we are not taught as dentists that it is toxic. Yet fluoride has similar toxicity to lead and arsenic – would you brush your teeth with arsenic toothpaste if I recommended it even if it did reduce tooth decay? It hasn’t be approved and its ok so long as you spit it out. This is no different to fluoride toothpaste you need to spit it out so you don’t get too much fluoride going into your system. However kids can’t spit out properly so they end up swallowing it every time they use it. Even older kids can’t mange to spit it all out. There is a lethal dose of fluoride in a tube of toothpaste for a 20kg child – if they decide to eat that tube of toothpaste in one go it can kill them. So you must get them to hospital immediately for IV calcium, iodine and vitamin C.
How can we as dentists protect your health especially when everything we got taught at dental school is wrong? Well I have been fortunate enough to have access to some great books written by holistic dentists and to have access to meetings and training materials from the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology which is a scientific branch who are responsible for investigating the impact of dental techniques and materials on the health of the body. Through this I have developed and widened my understanding and become SMART certified which means I am certified in the safe removal of mercury fillings. So IAOMT is based on scientific evidence that has turned the dental teaching and my training on its head.
I am a great believer in the truth and telling my patients the facts so they can make an informed choice so we understand the biological impact of dentistry on the body and focus on creating health. We do this by removing burdens – burden of infection, burden of toxins or poisons, the burden of bad oral health. We want you to achieve optimum oral health.
If you would like a dentist that cares about your health as well as your smile call us to find out more 07 3720 1811