Broken tooth? Badly decayed tooth? Don’t panic you probably won’t lose the tooth! We may be able to save your tooth with a dental crown.
A crown is a tooth shaped cover that is positioned over an existing damaged tooth to enhance strength and durability and to create a smoother look.
- Reinforce a tooth that is cracked or broken
- Repair a tooth that has an old large filling
- Cover a tooth that is severely decayed
- Reinforce a tooth that has had a root canal
- Encase a dental implant
- Anchor a dental bridge
- Improve your smile
There are several types of crown available depending on the tooth that requires treatment, and your bite as well as cosmetic and cost considerations.
At Evolve we prefer to use metal free porcelain crowns that are hand crafted by ceramic technicians here in Australia to precision fit your tooth.
- Before placing the crown on the tooth, the tooth will be shaped to make room for it.
- Then an impression of the tooth and the surrounding teeth is taken.
- A temporary acrylic crown is placed on the tooth.
- When the real crown is ready (2 weeks normally), the temporary crowns are replaced.
Gaps left by missing teeth eventually cause the remaining teeth to rotate or shift into the empty spaces, resulting in a bad bite, which places uneven forces on your teeth leading to excessive wear and pressure that can cause you teeth to crack, split or fracture. The imbalance caused by missing teeth can also lead to gum disease and jaw joint (TMJ) disorders.
- Restore your smile
- Restore your ability to properly chew and speak
- Maintain the shape of your face
- Distribute the forces in your bite properly by replacing missing teeth
- Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position
Bridges span the space created when teeth are missing. A bridge may be recommended if you’re missing one or more teeth.
A dental bridge consists of two crowns that are attached on either side to the replacement tooth in the middle. The two crowns are bonded over your natural teeth on either side of the empty space to act as anchors for the replacement tooth.
You have a choice of materials for bridges depending your bite, the size of the space and how many missing teeth need replacing. We can advise the best material to use, based on the location of the missing tooth (or teeth), its function, cosmetic considerations and cost. Porcelain or ceramic bridges can be matched to the colour of your natural teeth so that your bridge blends seamlessly into your smile.